October 9, 2011

Seneca Lake

For vacation this year, Tom and I rented a cottage up on Seneca Lake in New York (one of the finger lakes). It was a really great week full of relaxing, fishing and wine tasting. Below are a few of my favorite memories of the week.

1.) Catching the BIGGEST and smallest fish on our trip with our guide John.


Both fish are lake trout. The big one was about 31"! Tom and John wouldn't let me hold the big fish by myself since I almost dropped the tiny one (they are slippery!!) :(

Tom did pretty well too. The fish below is a great looking brown trout.


2.) Watching Tom fall out of his kayak into about 2 feet of water. Sadly, I do not have a picture.



3.) Eating the BEST filet mignon I have ever had at Suzannes (http://www.suzannefrc.com/). All the other food was amazing as well. If you are ever in the area, I highly recommend it!



4.) Trying some great wines at a few of the wineries. There are over 70 wineries around Seneca Lake alone. Who knew there could be so many wineries in one area! Apparently the weather and soil surrounding the lake make it an optimal grape growing area. Two of our favorites were Altwater Estates and Wagner Vineyards. Wagner also has a brewery and a restaurant. The picture below was taken from the porch of the restaurant. You can see all the rows of grapes.




5.) Off-roading in my Hyundai Accent. Long story short... the man that owns the house we were renting said that people often miss the road to the house since it is a little rugged. I was convinced the road shown below was the one we needed to take. It wasn't. We got pretty far down the path before I admitted I was absolutely wrong. This path was not made for normal cars!


6.) Sitting on the dock reading a book and listening to the water splash up on the dock.

No comments:

Post a Comment