What is it that is so great about naps? I asked Tom earlier and he said that it is because a nap is non-obligitory sleep. And he is right... there is something so different about crawling into bed in the middle of the day than going to bed at night. It seems like you are going against nature or something.
Now, let me say that I am not a person that takes lots of naps. I think I can count on one hand the number of naps I took in college each year. I was not a napper when I was little either. My Mom had to tie a shirt around my head to make it dark enough for me to sleep. And she had to sing to me. I am not sure how she got me to actually keep the shirt tied around my eyes. I remember sometimes lying there not being able to sleep just because I knew that it wasn't really dark out.
I do not have that problem anymore. I still don't typically take naps, but if I lay down somewhere it is only a matter of time until I am asleep. Tom and I just joined Netflix a couple months ago and so we normally end up watching a movie per week. I am pretty sure I have fallen asleep for at least a few minutes of every movie this month. It's not because I am not enjoying the movie... it's because I laid down!
I think the best naps that I have ever taken were when I was training for the marathon a few years ago. I would come back from a 15 to 20 mile run, take a shower, eat and then go back to sleep. I was full, clean and exhausted... most importantly though, I felt like I deserved a nap. That is the reason I take so few naps... either I don't feel like I've done anything to earn them or I can think of something better to do. But today, I went against my nature and took a nap even though I know I should have been working on my Financial Reporting Module (yeah I know... sounds exiciting right?). And it was worth every wasted minute :)
No comments:
Post a Comment